How to Legally Transfer a Motor Vehicle After Death

September 19th, 2022


Houston is a city of drivers. Most of us have cars, and naturally we would prefer to leave our car to a designated beneficiary without having the car go through the probate process.

Something few people take advantage of, is the Beneficiary Designation of a Motor Vehicle form available through the DMV.  This form allows you to identify who the vehicle should transfer to upon death, and does not require probate for the transfer to take effect.

To fill this form out, you will need government issued ID along with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). You can find the VIN in a few places: on the driver’s side dashboard (stand outside of your vehicle and look at the corner where the dashboard meets the windshield), in the driver’s side door or door jamb (it will be printed on a sticker in this location), on your vehicle insurance card and on your vehicle title.

If you previously named someone as a beneficiary but need to change it to someone else—you will need to fill out the Beneficiary Designation of a Motor Vehicle form and check the second box that says you are changing the beneficiary designation.  If you have decided you no longer want to designate a beneficiary, then you would check the third box on the form that says you are revoking the beneficiary designation.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling 832-810-3776 or by using our contact form.



Leave a Reply